Saturday 1 December 2012

MOT-I-V8 UR SELF

Hi one and all :)

I've started this blog for several reasons:
  • I want to lose weight before I develop diabetes
  • I want to lose weight before any fertility options are open to me
  • I want to lose weight to help relieve some of my PCOS symptoms
  • I want to lose weight to increase my energy levels
  • I want to lose weight to be more comfortable with my body
OK so that's why I want to, and it was that first reason there as to how I got myself motivated.

Around 3 weeks ago my GP asked me to pop in for a blood test to rule out the early stages of menopause.. I mean c'mon I'm 29 that shouldn't be an option, but alas with the PCOS everything is a possibility and it's devastating that there is no cure (even a hysterectomy doesn't get rid of it when you have the SYNDROME), all treatment options aren't permanent, and I don't want to be on tablets for the rest of my existence - if I can avoid it. I've read so many things regarding PCOS, tried so many diets that 'relieve' PCOS symptoms only to find they just don't work for me. Anyway enough about that!

I got a call that my results were in and the nurse needed to discuss lifestyle with me... uh-oh

Now you may understand this, and get how I'm feeling regarding the subject of weight loss. We all know obesity is at it's highest, we've seen the shows on telly about how weight loss surgery has saved lives because of obesity. We know about the increased risks of heart disease, cholesterol, blood pressure etc etc and I reckon the majority, and this is just my opinion - just like me are dismissive about the whole damn thing. We know what we should be doing, but why are we not doing it?

I know why I wasn't, in the simplest terms, I couldn't be arsed. Anyone else relate to that? I bet you do! I think that we may be in trouble if we don't start to become more motivated about actually helping ourselves. I've seen programs like "Supersize Me" & "Big Body Squad" I dont want that to be me, not if I've got a choice in the matter. It irritates me now all these diets about looking great for summer, looking fab in a bikini, get into that little black dress or drop a jeans size in two weeks.  These are not long term goals, is it saying get skinny for summer and then stock up for winter before you go into hibernation? It's a lifestyle change, it's not a diet.  We could all be healthier and with that yes, I mean skinny people too!

I'm looking at my body as a bank, the more you put in and the less you move your money the bigger it gets. Well I think for a healthy change we need to put less in our bank and move it around more than normal so it doesn't accumulate interest!

The nurse warned me that if I didn't do something about my weight then I would probably go on to develop diabetes. That's what gave me the motivation to do something about it. It's scared me. I've let myself get so unhealthy that I'm putting myself in danger. It was probably a harsh tactic but a one I have responded to as it was very clear cut, and shocked me. Probably the kick up the bum I needed.

So from here-in follow me in my journey to tackle my bulk and increase my fitness. I have chosen a very strict diet as I have followed a similar style diet and reaped fantastic results from it in the past. There is no miracle cure for it, just hard-work and perseverance. There's mini-goals to get me through my journey, but my long term goal is to reverse any chance of diabetes.

Oh and if you want to do this for yourself then don't necessarily do what I do, you do what works for yourself and don't be too hard on yourself.

A recent pic of me, I will take a pic every month as an update.

Pre-Diet Weigh-in: 17st 0lbs (238lbs)
Measurements (inches):
16.5 - Neck
48 - Shoulder (Circumference)
47 - Bust/Chest
44.5 - Waist
51.5 - Hips
10 - Left Forearm
14.5 - Left Bicep
10.5 - Right Forearm
14 - Right Bicep
25 - Left Thigh
16.5 - Left Calf
25 - Right Thigh
17 - Right Calf 




1 comment:

  1. Woo go Dani! Don't forget to mention the wall chart where you track your weight loss in lbs. I <3 mine that you did for me xxx

    ReplyDelete